You don't have to be a doctor or a nurse, a naturopath or a yogi to perform Jala Neti. Anyone can learn it. You don't have to be sick or have serious nasal complaints to benefit from this simple technique of health maintenance. Once learned, some people do it as a regular daily regime for general health maintenance and prevention of many upper respiratory ailments and others just use it when they need to, say after a period of working in a dusty situation or when the pollens get heavy in springtime. Once proficient and equipped with a Neti Pot, you have got it there for whenever you need it.
So what are the benefits and how does it work?
* Jala Neti removes the dirt and bacteria-filled mucus from within the nose and helps to drain the sinus cavities. This helps restore the body's protection mechanisms against nasal and upper respiratory infections such as hayfever, allergies, sinusitis, sore throats, coughs, post nasal drip, inflammation of tonsils and adenoids.
* Jala Neti is beneficial for asthma & bronchitis as it reduces the tendency for mouth breathing by freeing the nostrils of mucus.
* It has a cooling and soothing effect on the brain and is therefore beneficial for headaches, migraine, epilepsy, temper tantrums, hysteria, depression and general mental tension.
* It is of great benefit for problems associated with the ears and eyes such as certain types of deafness, tinitis, myopia.
* It also affects the subtle functions of the olfactory and optic nerves, as well as the pineal and pituitary glands.
* It helps awaken the psychic centre known as Ajna Chakra for higher states of meditation.
* It stimulates better powers of visualisation and concentration and gives a feeling of lightness and clarity to the mind.
* It is excellent for those trying to give up smoking since by reducing the tendency for mouth breathing and re-sensitising the nose to the actual pollution of ingesting smoke, thereby helping to de-programme the brain of the physical and psychological addiction.
Does It Really Work?
Many research studies and surveys on nasal cleansing have been done over the years in different parts of the world. Some of these studies are included in this website. Our own documented survey results, based on many thousands of satisfied users over the last 10 years, reveals:
99% of users report clearer breathing
95% improvement in those with poor sense of smell
92% improvement for sufferers of general tension headaches
87% better mental clarity and meditative benefits
86% reduction in nasal blockages due to mucus
84% of sinusitis sufferers had less symptoms & use of nasal sprays
80% improvement in nasal airflow straight after the first lesson
79% gained quicker relief from colds, and better prevention of them
74% reported no side effects or discomfort what so ever
63% of allergy sufferers reported improvements in their conditions
50% of asthmatics report benefits solely through the use of Neti
28% of users reported a reduction in mouth breathing
23% of all respondents reported an improvement in sense of smell
For more information on Jala Neti and yoga specifically relevant to personal health, proceed to these short cuts or navigate the website with the directory bar at bottom.
It's as Plain as the Nose on Your Face
(Article in Australian Well Being Magazine)
Comments Made by 140 Satisfied Users
Home Page: - An Introduction and its Applications
The Links Page: For Finding Teachers and Neti Pots
Learning Jala Neti: - How to, and how not to, do it
Our Library of Articles: on Nasal Cleansing