Nose bidet on Oprah? What's that? Well, for years these have actually been called neti pots but it seems Oprah has given it a new name that seems to stick. The term "nose bidet," as far as I know, did not exist before Oprah's show in April of 2007. This page is primarily a summary of what you'll find on my site regarding nasal irrigation. I first used a neti pot in 2002 and have since amassed a wealth of information related to the topic. Here is a list to get you started.
Neti pot info and resources
- The first article I wrote about Neti pots - This is the story of how I first learned how to use a neti pot and it has a neti pot comparison and review of different neti pots. It also includes several resources to get you started including links to "how to" articles and where to buy neti pots.
- The definitive Jala neti pot library and research collection. Republished with permission from the author of the original definitive neti pot website which is no longer online. This is the collection I relied on heavily when I first got started.
- How to make the saline solution for nasal irrigation. This includes a few extra steps than you usually find on websites. You may find it particularly helpful if it stung the first time you used your neti pot. This is the article I wish I had read before I first tried nasal irrigation.
- A review of Warren Jefferson's book, The Neti Pot for Better Health This is the a wonderful little book to help get a grasp at what you may actually accomplish using a neti pot.
- Fun with neti
- or just check out my entire collection of articles on neti pots.
If you had heard the term "nose bidet" used before Oprah's show, please let me know so that I can correct this information. This also may have made research for those new to this practice of nasal irrigation a little tricky since many of the really informative sites on neti pots and their usage don't ever mention the term "nose bidet". Even worse, most sinus sufferers looking for relief and those who learned of the bidets on Oprah may not have even known how to spell it. Even "jala neti" or "jal neti" is so obscure that most people don't know how to spell it for internet search purposes.
For that reason I'm including common misspellings at the end of this article in the hopes that search engines might be able to direct these people to the jala neti information I have painstakingly assembled here over the years.
Also, feel free to contact me if you have any questions as I know I had a lot when I first started nasal irrigation. It may seem weird to pour saline through your nasal passages but for the many allergy and post nasal drip sufferers, it is a godsend once you get the hang of it.
Good luck on your journey!
For the list of common misspellings, read the rest of this article.